Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Sadaharu Oh, wait

Humans are filled with inadequacies. Constantly worried that we might not be enough of this, or too much of that. We also HATE how inadequate we feel.

That's part of why we like to tear people down. We build them up, and then knock them off the pedestal we've placed them on. It's jealousy and it's OK. I sit here today and tell you I am not and never was a great baseball player. I know people who are better husbands than I, better employees, better people. But I've got excuses for every one.

People who put baseball players on pedestals - the people who enabled Barry Bonds to do whatever it is he's done - they are the ones who let their inadequacies take over. Those who shred Barry to take him OFF the pedestal. We impart moral answers to questions we've never been asked.

People do it because they need to "defend baseball," because they need to defend Hank Aaron." BECAUSE BARRY DID IT THE WRONG WAY!

I understand the need to make Barry not so great. To make it seem like he's no better than you or I.

The most inane of these arguments is the Sadaharu Oh is the real home run king because of his 868* professional homers.

While he's no doubt great, don't sit there and tell me that they are THE record. His 868* are no more THE record than Clint Dolezel is the touchdown king because of his 800+ in the Arena League. Hey, it's PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL. Rationalize away.

That doesn't matter. You're going to gerrymander records to suit your desires, but if we're changing the definition of professional to suit your argument, then you need to get the facts right. Barry is not 112 homers from Oh. Barry is 82 92 91 homers from Oh**. He hit 13 with Prince William in 1985 and another 7 in 1986 with the Hawaii Islanders.

* 868 were accomplished against lesser competition. Any league where Tuffy Rhodes is a star is not the equal of MLB. (see how I worked an asterisk into the post?)

**Not very good at math either, I guess. That or typing. Don't remember which.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't need to say anything, I feel it's all been said.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

I drink purple drank, thanks though.

Nor did I claim to be great at math, nor blogging. But I appreciate you're desire to stay anonymous so that you're errors remain above reproach.

Anonymous said...

And yes... that's an argument (sigh).
You are more than entitled to your opinion. But to be oh-so-self-righteous about it on other's blogs... and come across as more than a little impertinent, well, that's a lil' harsh.