Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday Afternoon Mascot Update

Well, the mascots had a great first day, going 12 and 4.

At 75-percent accuracy, that’s enough to coast your way through high school.

But on Friday the mascots dropped a growler in the bed. A big stinky doogan. Took a Duke. Grew a tail. If we’re not being clear enough, the 8-8 record is 4 deuces. So 20-12 in Round 1.


Rather than blame the mascots, I prefer to think that I misinterpreted their role in the match ups.

For instance, the old guy from UNLV was faster than I gave him credit for. I mean, for an old guy to be called a runner - he must be pretty good at it.

I’m still baffled by the Illinois loss though. Unless the Hokie’s as a turkey-like bird should have been interpreted as an allusion to the American Revolution.

All is not lost though. Perhaps I was able to channel the mascots better as the tournament progressed, because we’ve only lost one Elite 8 team.

In contrast my regular picks fared much better. As I type this, with just 3 games remaining, I have 10 sweet 16 teams alive, and only one eliminated from the Elite 8 (Wisconsin). My real bracket has a Final 4 of Florida over UCLA, Georgetown over Texas A&M, and then Georgetown beating Florida.

For the record-


Mascots picks still alive: Gators (Final 4), Butler Bulldogs(Sweet 16), Kansas Jayhawks (Elite 8), Pitt Panthers (Sweet 16), UCLA Bruins (Final 4), Tar heels (Sweet 16), Hoyas (Elite 8), Volunteers (Elite 8), Texas A&M Aggies (Final 4).

Incorrect in Round 1: Arizona Wildcats, Notre Dame Fightin’ Irish, Miami Redhawks, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Illinois Illini, Holy Cross Crusaders, Duke Blue Devils, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Marquette Golden Eagles, George Washington Coloniels, Albany Great Danes, North Texas Mean Green

Actual Picks incorrect in Round 1: Arizona, Villanova, Illinois, Marquette, Arkanasas, BYU, Albany.

Actual Picks incorrect in Round 2: Maryland, Wisconsin.

I’ll update the other games upon completion, or in the morning - whenever I feel like it.

No comments: